Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Discipline

God,




So many people struggle to be "fit" in three areas of their life. These areas are being physically, financially and spiritually fit.

To be physically fit for me is such a hard one because I have to decide what I want to look like. Do I want to be able to run 26.2 miles or do I want to be able to lift 300 pounds (Neither of these will probably ever happen but it was fun to think about for a second)? A few years ago, I stuck with a work-out routine called P90X and was able to lose weight and gain muscle. After completing the 90 days, I did not work out for three years. Why, because I was not disciplined. Now, here I am trying to work-out again with a great friend and trying to determine what my goals are and I have no idea. I just want to be fit but I do not know how to define this.

I feel very fortunate that my wife and I are financially fit. Are we rich? No. But since we became married, we have made wise financial decisions that have allowed us to become debt-free minus our house twice (we had to take out a loan to complete our adoption but we paid that off this last summer). Could we become more financially fit? Yes. We need to have goals about our future and what we need to do with our money that we currently have. However, I am sometimes scared to invest money because of the recent turmoil in the market. Kat and I have been married for 6 years and I know that we have had our fair share of difficult times but since we got on the same plan to become debt free, money has not been an issue of frustration in our household. Thanks be to You God for putting Kat in the right place just prior to our marriage. She was able to work for Dave Ramsey. Through her job and his program, we gained Financial Freedom. To become financially fit, one needs lots of discipline.

The last area that I have struggled with and so do many others is the area of being spiritually fit. I think that this may be the most difficult of all. I think that with all of the distractions, noise and loss of focus, we have become spiritually malnourished (this includes myself). I think about to the Jewish children that memorized the entire Old Testament before they were 15 and most of us struggle to remember a few verses. I think that we all need to gain some tools so that we can become more spiritually fit. In order to know You, one must read Your Word, spend time with You in prayer and meditation and be willing to surrender control. All of these require discipline.

God, may you help me and my friends to be fit this year. I know that I want to be a person that is wholly devoted to you and that is physically and financially fit as well. Help us to have the discipline to be FIT.

Love ya,

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment