Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thank You

God,



This weekend, Pastor Mark shared a saying that went something like, "What if tomorrow, you only had the blessings you thanked God for today?" I believe that the saying went something like that but I am sure that You get what I am trying to say. So often, I forget to STOP and be thankful for the great multitude of blessings that You have blessed me with. I think most days that I thank You for my wife and my kids but what about everything else? I am not sure that I take enough time each day to just be thankful.

My really good friend and workout partner hurt his back a week ago today. Last Wednesday, he woke up and was unable to make it to his car without help from his wife. A week later and his back is still not any better. So this evening, I called to check on him and he said that he could not even put his socks on today after getting treatment for his back. As we were talking, I told him that I bet you will be thankful for the ability to put your socks on when your back is better. His injury helped me to be more thankful for being able to bend down and put my socks and shoes on.

 God, why does it take something bad happening to make us thankful for what we have? I can't tell you how many times I heard a story of a broken relationship and I came home and kissed my wife. Why does it take something bad to make me appreciate something good? Why can't I be thankful all of the time?

As Kat and I are teaching our kids to say thank you for all of the small things that we give them or that someone else gives them, I think that we all could learn from children and be more thankful to You for all the blessings that we have.

Learning to be thankful,
Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment