Saturday, January 28, 2012

Running Out of Gas

God,



This morning on the way back from eating breakfast with the family at Marcy Jo's, Kat realized that the van was almost out of gas. Therefore, we finished going home and everyone got out so that I could go and fill up the gas tank. Kat said that she had not even noticed that she was almost on empty.

Later this evening, I was returning home on my way back from Upward and my gas light came on. I decided that instead of going to the nearest gas station that I would try and make it a gas station farther down the road. Fortunately, I made it to the gas station without running out.

But these two situations made me wonder God, why do we allow ourselves to run on empty? Why do we push ourselves and run on fumes? Many a time, I have turned off the radio and air conditioner just to try and save a little gas to get me to a gas station. What do we turn off in our lives to just make it one more day or even one more hour? Love, patience, or maybe even faith? I mean we know that you promise to fill us up.

"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit (Ephesians 5:18)" The term be filled in this scripture means to be continuously filled. God, I know what it means to be filled with the Holy Spirit and yet sometimes I am like the van situation this morning and I just do not pay enough attention to determine if I am close to running on empty. Other times, I like to push myself to the limit of almost being on empty because honestly I am an idiot.

How many times must I run out of gas before I will stay filled up? The peace, security and joy that comes from living a life full of You is like nothing else. God, grant me the wisdom, the self-analysis, the selflessness to remain connected to You and running on full.

Thanks for Your continuous filling,

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment